The Old Healing Site
Soon after Birštonas was granted the status of the official resort (in 1854), the water healing site building was built in the town. In 1924, the Red Cross Organization became the official administrator of resort obligated to the then Department of Health to modernize and develop resort. Healing with mud was a significant event in Birštonas’ history. In order to exploit this opportunity of healing with mud, in 1927 "Tulpės" sanatorium mud healing site was built and they are still operating today. At that time, word "tynia" was used instead on "vonia" (bathtub) in Lithuanian language, therefore the new mud healing site was called "Purvotynia" in Lithuanian.
More information: www.visitbirstonas.lt